These things are not tied with a pink ribbon

January 14th, 2011 § 22 comments

I wish I had the energy of my youth.
I wish I had the body.
I wish I had the fearlessness, the spunk, the drive.

I wish I could have a conversation with that young girl,
bright-eyed and full of wonder.
I wish I could tell her what lay ahead.

I wish I could tell her to gather strength, and wisdom, and patience like a squirrel gathering acorns for the winter.
“Save those things up,” I’d say, “you are going to need them… every last bit.”
I wish I could share the perspective I’ve gained along with all of the love.

But I can’t go back to that time,
I can’t go back to that place.
I can’t rewrite what’s happened,
I can’t do it all again.

I guess I must have done something right along the way for when it came time to fight I did,
and I did it well.
But that struggle took its toll on me and I am quite sure I will never, ever be the same.

You tell yourself “they’re only breasts.”
You say, “I don’t need ovaries, I’m done having children.”
But that obscures the truth.
The truth is that it does matter,
they do matter.
They say my uterus is atrophied.
It almost sounds funny when you say it.

“Who cares? What does that matter?”
It does. It does. It does.
To get rid of all hormones gives me a better chance at avoiding a recurrence, but there is a price to be paid.
No estrogen matters more than I ever thought it could.

It feels worse than taking injections to suppress my ovaries, worse than taking Tamoxifen. Those were easy. I had no clue what was ahead.

I wear the skirt, I put the makeup on, I walk the walk.
But I do not feel like a woman anymore.
I’m proud of what this body has done for me:
3 beautiful children,
surviving cancer,
healing the broken bones, the infections, the autoimmune diseases.
There is no week without migraines,
no cold winter day without icy implants.

Beneath the pretty lies ugly,
the ugly truth of cancer
and what it has taken from me.

While some may be able to go on,
move on,
I cannot.
My body will not let me.

These things are not tied with a pink ribbon.

These things last longer than a month.
This is part of awareness.

This is part of what breast cancer can do.
This is what it has done to me.

Tagged , , ,

§ 22 Responses to These things are not tied with a pink ribbon"

• Once again, your honesty, strength and courage humble me.

• Mary Helen says:

Lisa, you are truly beautiful, inside and out, and your honesty and candor are amazing. Beautifully written post. I know how much just being the mom of a cancer patient has changed me. I can’t imagine being the patient myself. If I ever am, I hope to borrow from your grace and positive outlook. Thanks for sharing this!

• ThePeachy1 says:

Every time I come here, no matter what is on my mind, what worries, what turmoil, you are my constant, returning me every time to sanity, the reality of life, the strength I wish to achieve and the standard of beauty and dignity I aspire for. You my friend, remain remarkable.

• Scary Mommy says:

This was beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

• Poignant and brave. It’s funny how we would go back and tell our younger selves so many things, how to live and be different, when the beauty of that knowledge comes from the lives we’ve lived. Hugs to you.

• Shari says:

I can’t help but think of this entry with every pink ribbon that I come upon, especially this year.

• This is so beautiful because it is so true.

• Judy Holmes says:

You hit the nail on the head; unfortunately, doctors/oncologists, simply don’t get it. They continue to have the “use it or lose it. . .doesn’t matter” attitude. The insensitivity hits like a rock when one is reeling against a diagnosis. It DOES MATTER!!!

“Who cares? What does that matter?”
    It does. It does. It does.
    No estrogen matters more than I ever thought it could. – See more at:

• Karen Buchanan says:

Let me wipe away my tears before I respond. I didn’t expect someone to write something that so closely mirrors my thoughts. For 17 years (1st @ age of 33) I have heard others tell me how good I look, no matter what has just been physically taken from me, and all that matters is that I am alive and at that moment tumor free. The one little thing at that moment may have seemed small compared to being alive itself, I agree, but there is a very very long list of small things that really really add up after 17 years of taking. The disease that just keeps on taking. My body will not let me forget every single day. My scars, my pain, my evidence. I very much agree, the estrogen loss is a daily battle. As time passes, it just keeps taking as well. I try hard to be thankful for life itself but it’s just one battle after another in the long war that became my life. It is nice to hear someone else write words that speak so close to my heart. God bless you and all of the other Stage IV survivors who are in this battle daily and God bless the families who are there daily with them. I know it takes a toll on my family. I love them so! * Love * Peace * Hope* to all.

• Radini L says:

Beautifully written and gives such a true picture of what Cancer does. I have had to go through watching someone close to me simply wither away right before my eyes due to cancer. The pain was unbearable.

This is so true:
    These things are not tied with a pink ribbon.
    These things last longer than a month.

Lisa, You are such an inspiration not only to cancer patients but to women in general. I pray for health and strength for you.

• Nasreen says:

You are so right, none of this is tied up in a stupid pink ribbon for a month! Each and every day, five years on from original diagnosis, I am reminded of bring carved up, in order to remove cancer from my body, the scars tell the story, but no one wants to listen these days, because I ‘ look so well’ that I must be cured and ‘ over it all ‘ now, what do they know!!!!

• Although an exercise ball itself will take much
    less room than a bench press you may still want roughly the same floor real property
    when you being utilizing it.

• Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my
    blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking
    for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like
    this. Please let me know if you run into anything.
    I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

• Thankk you, I have recently been looking
    for info approximately this topic for ages and yours is the best I’ve discovered so far.
    However, what concerning the conclusion? Arre you sure aboujt the supply?

• Hello, I want to subscribe for this blog to obtain hottest updates, so where can i do it please help.

• Focus specifically on creating policies and applications for way of life-based mostly
    power illness prevention and management, integrative
    well being care practices and health promotion.

• Since that first launch in 2003, WordPress has developed from a tool
    for running a blog into a full content material administration system which can be
    utilized to power nearly any sort of web site you can think of, from simple blogs
    to online portfolios for photographers and designers, full eCommerce web sites selling physical or digital items,
    marketplaces, on-line public sale websites, directories and of course company websites for a number
    of the largest companies on-line today.

• google says:

Just desire to say your article is as surprising.
    The clarity in your post is just spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.

• Traditional promotional techniques will even work here,
    though a new outfits for example – where previously, we generally placed a classified on different portals with the
    least level of content and without right arrangements
    of text, now we have to focus on right placement, enough quantity of content together with relevant graphics and proper contact details.
    Start with small business, it is possible
    to design websites for a inexpensive or perhaps for free.
    By crawling the world wide web, we signify it sends requests
    to all or any the servers hosting websites, downloads copies of which,
    after which sends them off for the Indexer for processing.

This is how search results optimization in India can be quite beneficial both
    on your internet site also as on your own pocket.

• こんにちは、アフィリエイター山本謙吾です。例えばサラリーマンをしながら、兼業で老後の資金などを確保したい。実際に副業でそれなりの収入を得るには想像を絶するほど勤め人的発案を大胆に変換せねば、結果が出せません。ほとんどの在宅副業は、自分の家で一人で進める仕事が多いでしょう。山本謙吾もそのひとり。もちろん、それが籍のある会社にばれることなく、遂行できる利点になってくるでしょう。といっても、副業仲間が手を組むようになると稼ぎやすくなるというメリットもあるのです。現実的に都合がつく時間がなかなか持てないため、効率良く、手軽に取り組める方が、ベターです。家にいながら自身のペースでいつでも気軽に取り組められる副業が、毎日忙しいサラリーマンにおきましては著しく山本謙吾的におすすめであると言えます。一度用意してしまえばアフィリエイトを実行しているサイトは、毎日サラリーマンとして勤務している時間中にも、収入を作りだしてくれます。貴重な時間を少ししか使わなくてよい副業は、とても割が良いと山本謙吾は考えられます。過去に実績が1つもないネットビジネス業未経験者は、最初は月々5万円収入を得ることを第一目標として努めよう。現実ネットビジネスにおいて、月に5万円以上の収入を稼ぐ方などは1%も存在しません。だからと言って、可能性が無いくらい困難であるというものでもないですから大丈夫。現実本当に、手軽にそつなく思い通りに稼ぐことが出来るものなの?インターネットビジネスに身を入れて実行することになった自分が、今に至るまでの多種多様な実体験などをもとにお話したいと山本謙吾は考えています。副業でまず在宅ワークを希望する場合が多いということで、この頃は在宅ワークする人だけの会や、様々な在宅ワークの情報交換ができるネットサイトも多々存在しているのです。メリットが大きい日常のお掃除のお手伝いをする副業。割と時間に自由がある主婦に向けてとにかく山本謙吾おすすめでございます。合わせて、OLの人なども暇があれば、モノの試しにやってみてもいいかと山本謙吾は思います。封筒や葉書はじめ結婚式の招待状などの宛名書きや食品パックの検品など、決まった作業をずっと繰り返す副業タイプですと、子どもの側にいながら話しながらできる、並びにテレビを見ながら同時に行えるという理由で、主婦を中心に大変好評です。個人撮影の写真素材を、写真素材総合サイトにアップし売買された時に、規定の率のお金が得ることが出来るシステムの写真販売。もし写真撮影が趣味である場合には特に山本謙吾おすすめの副業案件です。まずアフィリエイトで収入を得ることを実践してみるよりも、ネットビジネスに対して初心者である場合は、とりあえずメールマガジンの登録・受信や且つ市場アンケート調査などで、着々と現金を稼ぐ方法が固いです。基本的にパソコンがあれば、在宅で副業が可能である最近。そのなかで、コツコツこなせるところと案件の数量の多さ、その他気軽に受注できることからあらゆる分野のライティングといったお仕事が、山本謙吾的に高評価です。言わばブログライターとは、ユーザーのWeblogに指定されたお題の記事を作り、報酬、を受領するお仕事。日常生活で文章を作ることが得意である人に、山本謙吾がかなりおすすめの副業といえます。なにせサラリーマンが副業に掛けることのできる時間は、限定されます。勤め仕事・家族団らん・趣味・バスタイム・眠り・勉強を経た残り時間だけ。そのため、時間の密度を薄めないことが大事だと、山本謙吾は考えます。山本謙吾が思うに、実際に個人輸出入ビジネスとかオンライン上のネットオークションを使って稼ぐ方法は、言うならば通常の商売みたいな事業という風に考えている人もいるでしょうが、標準的なインターネットビジネスに違いありません。

• CJC-1295 is an artificial modification of growth bodily hormone launching element (GRF) with D-alpha lipoic acid, Gln, alpha lipoic acid,
    and Leu alternatives at locations 2, 8, 15, and 27 respectively.
    These replacements develop a a lot more steady Peptide with the alternative at
    position 2 to prevent DPP-IV bosom, location 8 to reduce asparagine rearrangement or amide hydrolysis to aspartic acid,
    location 15 to improve bioactivity, and placement 27 to